Putting Pen To Paper

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The New Neighbors

I was surprised when I looked out the window this morning...
hanging olive tree
there was a tree hanging in the sky. It was doubly strange because I have lived in San Francisco a long time, and I thought I had already seen everything. But, obviously, I haven't.

I know my head can get a little big at times, so an occasional reminder like this is good for me. After all, it has been a good three weeks since the last reminder, when my neighbor drove up in his "new" BMW Vixen motorhome. Surely you can imagine that somebody who has already seen everything might be scratching his head about that one. What the hell is that!? There were just 600 of these built, back in the '80s. I took photos. had a long conversation with my neighborBMW Vixen with parking ticket
BMW Vixen
about it, and now I'm an expert on BMW Vixens too.

We all love San Francisco, but there are things we hate: It took the parking police just three hours to cite the Vixen for a parking violation. You'd think they could cut a vehicle like that some well deserved slack.  After all, it exists, here on this spot on Telegraph Hill, which has never ever seen anything like this before, and will probably never ever do so again.

But, rest assured, I expect no Moving Trees
car stuck under tree
parking police this morning. Even if the street is completely clogged by flat bed trucks double parked on the street carrying 70 year old olive trees. It is a great day for San Francisco: we lost all our trees when the city burned down in 1906, and we never really bothered restoring them, we just paved the city over instead. Nobody is going to complain about the new neighbors. Well almost nobody.

One neighbor, quite idiotically, tried to pass a truck. She tore a branch off a tree and scratched up her car in the process. Then she got jammed, and made an even bigger mess backing out.

Hey -- this is a city... these trucks belong on a farm -- how am I supposed to know how to drive with something like that on the street!?!? 

I'm sure the truck drivers wished they were on a farm... they had to back out to make their way home.

Any good know-it-all will tell you more is better, so yours truly wasted no time getting out on the street. I took photos, interviewed the landscape architect that ordered them, Olive Trees
transplanted olive trees
and now I'm an expert on transplanting olive trees too. I did know they were olive trees, or should I admit, I figured it out. There were olives everywhere, the street had black stains where they got smushed. Has to be olive trees, right? I'm told they're all female trees, so there won't be any olives shedding onto our sidewalks in the years to come. But we have a big mess on the street today.

The trees are being installed as part of a renovation. It's the $7 million mansion at the corner -- first listed for a whopping $14 million back during the Dot Com boom. The place was on the market for years -- everyone on the block was saying they'd buy it if they could only win the lottery. It's finally been bought, and the new owners are spending millions more on renovations.  Now they have a Mediterranean style grove of olive trees screening in their privacy.

It's incredible, the trees are beautiful, and this time I'm sure I've seen it all.


 

Creative Commons License



click to show or hide the full text of this post
click to post a comment or read comments from: Blogger Peter, Blogger Ruth, Blogger Peter, Blogger Fred MacKenzie,

4 Comments:

  • Well -- I used the tree picture again -- but it's not a story about chinatown -- that story is still running around in circles in my head.

    As usual -- the feedback I'd like to get is what you liked and didn't like about the story.

    /p

    By Blogger Peter, at 8/02/2006 01:25:00 PM  

  • What I didn't like:
    What I did like: Everything, only I might like to know more about the Vixen... maybe another story, eh? I've never heard of that vehicle.

    I particularly liked that I get to point out a misspelled word in your story this time... "doubley" should be "doubly". Gee that felt good! But then I got caught up in watching olive trees being planted and crashed into by a crazy female driver and forgot to look for any other typos, etc. Guess there must not have been any ;-)))

    And you know what? I really doubt that you've seen everything yet!

    By Blogger Ruth, at 8/02/2006 04:59:00 PM  

  • Ruth... tx ... re: the vixens... there's a fan site for vixens here: http://www.vixenrv.org/ -- the left side of the roof tilts up, so it is possible to stand inside one of these things. It also has a full bathroom inside!!!!!
    /p

    By Blogger Peter, at 8/03/2006 10:04:00 AM  

  • I like this one alot. I think it all fits together nicely. I like that you use the photos.

    By Blogger Fred MacKenzie, at 8/04/2006 12:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home