Putting Pen To Paper

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Pedestrianism: 2nd Version

July 25, 2006

This
fog over San Francisco
is the new desktop image on my computer... Big deal, right? But it is! My last desktop image, of koi at Byodo-In Temple in Hawaii stayed on my desktop for seven years, always bringing back memories of one of my most favorite trips ever. 

This new photo is special because it features the hill I live on, and a view of the tops of three of the most recognized buildings in the city:  Coit Tower, TransAmerica Pyramid, and Bank of America building. I see this view almost every day when I walk home.

Above the buildings is the fog that San Franciscans love to complain about. They look like clouds from this angle, but you can see this fog roll in from west of Golden Gate Bridge, across the city to downtown, and sometimes, all the way (east) across the bay.

Fog is big in the city -- it gets cold when it rolls in, and we complain that it's there. When it's hot, we complain that it's not there. According to one book I read on the subject, I relate to fog. Those born on February 29th live like they're heads are in the clouds, never really being able to clearly see where they're going, but somehow, always getting there.

That's me. Daydreaming is my
earbuds
favorite hobby. I do it well. I love to load up my music player with daydreaming music, plug in my earbuds, and ramble off on walks through neighborhoods around this hill. It's one of the best cities in the world to just watch and enjoy... even with my head in the clouds, and the earbuds blocking out all the sounds. 

During any day in my neighborhood I probably pass more tourists on sightseeing walks than I do real neighbors. I've noticed how tourists like to get out in the street and take photos of the views.  With traffic like we have here, it's a wonder they don't get hit by it.

They should teach us about traffic in high school, but they don't. Considering how far above the street my head usually is, I have formulated some very strict laws of pedestrianism, that make the clouds a pretty safe place for heads.  I have never believed in the little white man... You know, the star of the Walk/Don't Walk light. You can get a ticket (moving violation) for setting foot on the pavement anywhere there isn't a little white man saying it's okay. But, the little white man has no eyes, how can he possibly see when it's safe to get on the pavement?

So, without further explanation, here are The Four Laws of Pedestrianism:

1. Don't take another step until you've made eye contact with the driver of the nearest moving vehicle, which might be coming from behind you around the corner.

2. Stay as far away from emergency vehicles as possible -- those drivers are trained to run red lights; they might not kill you, but it's safer to just stay out of their way. Besides, some of them can charge you with a moving violation for jaywalking.

3. Avoid buses and trucks -- they are much harder to stop than cars and bicycles.

4. And, speaking of bicycles... Let 'em go by -- those riders think they own the road. They can come from any direction, they don't obey traffic signals, and when they hit you, you'll be lucky if they say "Oh... sorry."

You might expect that I don't have much respect for the little white man. He can't do any of these four things, so I don't let him delay me often. The four laws of pedestrianism make my jaywalking safe, I can easily avoid the little guy when it looks like he's going to block my way.

But today I found myself stuck in pedestrian hell with the other pedestrians... I fault myself for this: Had I planned my jaywalking better, I'd still be walking. Instead, I was waiting impatiently to cross a street. When the man finally made his appearance, the pedestrians herded off like sheep onto the crosswalk. One woman was hurriedly leading the way.

They obviously
a city bus
hadn't heard of the Four Laws of Pedestrianism. Cautious old me was trying to make eye contact with the nearest driver. That happened to be a bus driver. He was far too busy for eye contact because he was driving, against the red light, through the intersection. I thought it was a good time for jamming on the brakes, but he was going to weave through the busy crosswalk, hopefully avoiding as many pedestrians as possible. I wondered to myself, wouldn't he lose his job for that?

When I looked back at the crosswalk, the hurried woman was still hurrying, still leading the herd across the crosswalk... totally devoted to the little white man. How could she not notice a bus heading right into her? This is not a time to seize your legal rights by boldly marching forward... Just wait for the bus to go through. The weird thing was, nobody else was waiting to let the bus pass either, except me. They were all devotees of the little white man! And I thought it was just me with my head in the clouds!

At the rate that woman was going I figured she'd walk head first into the front left corner of the bus... maybe she'd hit the door. Good thing she wasn't wearing earbuds too.

WATCH OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I yelled it out as loud as I could and she stopped. She was completely stunned... she was saying "He ran the red light! He ran the red light!" Yes -- and she's very lucky I wasn't off jaywalking somewhere. I'm sure there would have been a few of her pieces to pick up off the pavement had I not been there to shout at her.

I have never saved somebody's life before... it's a pretty interesting feeling... it stayed with me the whole day... so much synchronicity... what a difference me missing a light can make on somebody else's life.

Creative Commons License



click to show or hide the full text of this post
click to post a comment or read comments from: Blogger Peter, Blogger PeggySueO, Blogger Ruth, Blogger Fred MacKenzie, Blogger Peter,

5 Comments:

  • I took the liberty of reposting Pedestrianism because with the new beginning, I could embellish the ending a little more. So the story is changed considerably.

    I have embedded some links to photo galleries. Do they work as links, or should I include them as footnotes at the end of the story? Internet writing seems to allow both styles of linking.

    I'd like the same kind of feedback as before -- a thing or things you liked, and as much emphasis on something you didn't like.

    /p

    By Blogger Peter, at 7/25/2006 11:01:00 PM  

  • Well I can say that you managed to keep my attention with this one. I think because it all seemed to go together better than the other one which included something about a tree in the sky I think.

    Anyway, I never seem to have much constructive to say for or against a piece as I'm just not that kind of person who evaluates what I read so deeply. Usually it is either I liked it or I didn't. I liked this one. The lady and others following right behind her reminded me of lemmings.

    By Blogger PeggySueO, at 7/26/2006 08:51:00 AM  

  • Peter, I think this one works much better! And yes, I liked the links within the story as opposed to having them at the end. Good job on the revision.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 7/26/2006 05:25:00 PM  

  • I think this version is much better than the original. I would like to see you write something else using that tree in the sky picture.

    By Blogger Fred MacKenzie, at 7/30/2006 05:28:00 PM  

  • Fred...

    tx... re: tree in the sky -- It takes me about a week to put one of those together... next stop Chinatown -- you'll just have to wait to see, whether I reuse the beginning that I rewrote for pedestrianism.

    By Blogger Peter, at 7/31/2006 05:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home