Putting Pen To Paper

Saturday, September 02, 2006

A Little Prose

Symbiosis

I don’t know why I sat down here today in front of this computer screen except that I needed to write “something”. What that something is, I don’t yet know.

Outside my window a light breeze rustles the leaves of the tiny Silver Maple, and the giant Cedar nearby shivers as though winter is nigh. It is not. The heat of early September in North Central Florida hangs heavy in the air, stifling any thoughts of leaving my air conditioned haven and sitting on the screened porch to write.

In the uppermost branches of a scraggly Crepe Myrtle near the front fence, the last few dots of bright pink petals linger, perhaps afraid of the long fall to the sandy earth below. Grey/green mossy beards hang from nearby branches as they do in most of the trees growing in my yard and throughout Florida. Spanish moss is said not to kill the trees on which it hangs and sways in symbiotic splendor… but, one must wonder, when, heavy laden with their unwanted guests, they do die, and dot the landscape with their long-bearded skeletons.


click to show or hide the full text of this post
click to post a comment or read comments from: Blogger Fred MacKenzie, Blogger Ruth, Blogger WDavid, Blogger Fred MacKenzie,

4 Comments:

  • Sure has been quiet around here. Where did everybody go?

    Well I will say I liked this piece. I can comment on the writing (nicely done), but I wonder if I am too close to the situation to comment on the topic itself. Which is why I haven't commented on this piece sooner; I was hoping somebody else would first.

    By Blogger Fred MacKenzie, at 9/23/2006 01:13:00 PM  

  • Yes, it has been quiet around here until David started posting again recently. The last few sentences, which have now been removed, were merely observations... the next leap of thought from one life form to another...I did not mean to offend anyone.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 9/27/2006 12:18:00 PM  

  • I don't see a situation here for Fred to be "too close to". I guess poetry really is beyond me. I see a nice little essay with an observation of a tree, a poignant comment about petals being afraid to fall, and a lament for trees lost to a parasitic moss. What did I miss?

    By Blogger WDavid, at 9/27/2006 12:32:00 PM  

  • David, if your first reading of this piece was just before your comment, then what you missed had already been removed.

    Mom, I don't think you should have removed anything from your writing, I liked it better with the original ending. I certainly wasn't offended.

    By Blogger Fred MacKenzie, at 9/29/2006 10:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home